Have you ever thought about becoming an au pair in the USA? I will give you 5 good reasons to become one.
BEING AN AU PAIR: THINKING ABOUT YOUR FUTURE
Going au pair before/during/after your studies is a great opportunity to take a break from school, while traveling and earning money.
BE AN AU PAIR: Live for a year (minimum) in an American host family and your mission will be to take care of their children. In exchange, you will be accommodated, you will have a salary ($ 195.75 per week) and the chance to travel and study in the USA. Important point: that the au pair life is not for everyone and that the most important thing here is tolove taking care of children.
I left with the cultural care au pair agency.
BEING AN AU PAIR: LIVING A NEW EXPERIENCE
"To speak a language is to adopt a world, a culture. »
Then during your au pair year, you will learn to:
- Surpass yourself and get to know yourself
- Achieve goals you didn't think were achievable before you left.
On the other hand, the au pair experience is not rosy every day, depending on the age category of the children you are going to keep, it will be a different effort so here are several tips:
Think about the age category of the children you want to keep.
Concretely, I take care of three-year-old twins while in France I was a colo animator and I preferred to take care of teenagers. Here, 3 years is the age when they build and learn. With three-year-olds, you must be:
It is important to note thatAmerican education is very different from French education. After several comments and posts, American children are seen as child kings.
Finally, it depends on your host family.
BEING AN AU PAIR: IT'S A METO REFINE YOUR ENGLISH
I explain, I left with a very lowlevel of English, my English teachers told me that I could never go to a foreign country and never supported me. However, I have made this weakness a strength in order to achieve my goal and do what interests me.
Some tips to improve when you arrive in the USA:
- Do not make too many French friends, there are many au pairs from all over the world. And together you will evolve.
- Take a subscription to the cinema and then watch three movies a week (at the top for understanding)
- Meet Americans on dating apps like Bumble (best friend or date why not?)
- Find out about free courses at bookstores in the city where you are. Perfect for chatting, meeting new people and learning more about American culture.
- Start by watching the English series with English subtitles and then without subtitles.
- Read and sing your favoriteAmerican music on a road trip!
BEING AN AU PAIR: TRAVELLING AND MAKING MONEY AT THE SAME TIME
Everyone dreams of traveling and making money at the same time. It is true that being an au pair is a great opportunity for a first experience of the outside world. In addition, you have two weeks of paid leave per year and you have one weekend of rest per month. As a result, you can make a lot of small trips.
In practice, I limit my carbon footprint (why?) so I don't use the plane often. I visit around my host state which isArizona. There is so much to discover. After that it depends if you are more of the shopping or traveling type, you have to choose!
BEING AN AU PAIR: MAKING FRIENDS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD
On the other hand, the au pair experience will introduce you to peers from all over the world via meetings and Facebook groups.
Being friends with strangers means:
- Discover many cultures
- Eat traditional meals from around the world
- Exchanging views
- Have someone to talk to
- Paint the town
- Make crazy road trips together and share beautiful moments
If you find yourself in this article and you are interested in the au pairadventure then go for it. It's a great experience, I will come back with new articles on the subject to go into more detail about my adventure.
Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.